Back to Help and support

Customer assistance

We’re here to help

We have developed a Customer Charter that provides you with important information about your rights and responsibilities when dealing with us.

The charter provides you with information about:

  • the services we provide
  • how we undertake works and maintenance on your property
  • how we read meters
  • how you can read your meters
  • how we bill you and how you can pay your bills
  • how we follow up on unpaid accounts
  • your options if you are having difficulties paying your account
  • how we provide family violence assistance and maintain your confidentiality
  • how you can make a complaint and how we will process it.

You can see a copy of the charter at Customer Service Charter.

You can get a hard copy by calling us on 1300 139 510 or emailing

We understand that many of our customers may be experiencing difficulties paying their bills as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.  Southern Rural Water has adopted the National Cabinet hardship principles.

Please call our team on 1300 139 510 to discuss your circumstances.

We can offer flexible payment options, interest relief during COVID, no disconnection or restriction of supply to those in financial stress and defer debt recovery proceedings and credit default listing.

If you are experiencing financial hardship due to other circumstances, please contact us so that we can make a payment arrangement that helps you.

For further information related to your Southern Rural Water services or your account, please contact our Customer Service team on 1300 139 510 or on live webchat (located in the bottom right of the screen) Mon-Fri 8.30 am to 4.15 pm.

We can also arrange an online video meeting for you with a team member if you prefer.

  • Concessions and Grants

    Concessions are available on domestic water charges for holders of valid concession cards. Call 1300 139 510 for details or refer to for more information.

    What concession cards are eligible?

    • Pensioner Concession Card – issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
    • Centrelink Health Care Card.
    • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (cards marked as “Dependent” are not eligible).

    Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards, Victorian Seniors Card, Carer Allowance and Foster Care Health Cards and Medicare cards are not eligible cards.

    How much is the concession?

    This concession offers a discount on water rates, up to a yearly maximum, which is indexed each year.

    Are there any other criteria?

    Yes, to be able to claim a concession on your water charges you must ensure that:

    • You have one of the eligible concession cards and your card is valid at the time of application.
    • You are the person responsible for payment of the account.
    • Your name is on the account.
    • Your name and address on the account matches that on the concession card.
    • Concessions are only available where water is used for domestic purposes only.
    • Irrigation water use is ineligible.
    • Groundwater licences are ineligible as SRW does not charge for domestic groundwater use.
  • Customer Feedback

    We respond to all customer complaints within 10 business days.

    If you would like to make a complaint or give a compliment to Southern Rural Water, please feel free to complete our customer feedback form. or alternatively contact us.

    Energy & Water Ombudsman of Victoria (EWOV)

    If you feel that your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please let us know. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria (EWOV) on 1800 500 509.

    More information can be found at the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria website.

  • Family Violence Support

    Has a partner or family member put you in a difficult situation with your bill?

    This could be a form of family violence. We are here to support you.

    You only have to tell your story once

    You will only have to explain your situation once – the first time you call. We will be guided by the information that you provide to us and no extra proof is required.

    All conversations are confidential 

    Your safety and privacy will be respected at all times. None of the information you give us will be disclosed to anyone else, even if their name is on the account. Only staff who are directly involved will have access to the information provided – we can lock your account in our system to everyone other than the Customer Support Team, giving you added privacy.

    We’ll help you with the debt 

    Southern Rural Water provides support and assistance to customers left with debt. We’ll work with you to find a solution for your individual situation.

    Trained staff, respectful conversations 

    Our dedicated Customer Support Team members have been trained to assist people who are experiencing family violence.

    We will treat you with understanding and respect, explain how we can assist you in this difficult situation, and give you as much time as you need to consider your options.

    We can put you in touch with additional support 

    We work collaboratively with a number of community organisations that specialise in working with and supporting people experiencing family violence. We can refer you to one of these services for immediate and or more long-term assistance.

    We are here to listen and support you 

    If a partner or family member has left you with unpaid water bills, please contact our Family Violence Hotline on 1300 654 059 between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

    Our Family Violence policy

    Family violence resource list

  • Debt Management and Hardship Procedures

    The Debt Management Procedure sets out the rights and responsibilities of Southern Rural Water (SRW) and our customers in relation to the management of outstanding debt. The purpose of this procedure is to establish transparent, fair and equitable debt management principles for customers to support them in understanding our debt management approach.

    We understand that many of our customers may be experiencing difficulties paying their bills as a result of the 2020 coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

    In addition to our usual procedure, Southern Rural Water has put in place special payment relief and other arrangements for those who are in financial stress as a result of the pandemic.

    Please call our team on 1300 139 510 to discuss your circumstances.

    Download Debt Management and Hardship Procedure