Public Notice - Boating Restrictions 3 - 4 November
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
I, Terry Clapham, Manager Water Supply East, Southern Rural Water (the Waterway Manager for Lake Glenmaggie), declare under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) (the Act) that the Glenmaggie and District Boat Club’s 2018 Club Day racing event are exempt from:
Competitors vessels during the event only:
- Clause 2(c) of the Act – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
- Regulation 96(5) & 97(1) of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 – the requirements to carry a bailer, anchor, bucket and lanyard, torch, paddles and fire extinguisher;
- Regulation 96(6) & 100(3) of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012— the requirements to wear a compliant PFD (applies to reinforced cockpit vessels only and provided they wear an APBA compliant PFD); and
- Regulation 44(2)(b) of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 – the condition on the holder of a restricted marine licence to not operate at a speed exceeding 10 knots (applies to competitors in the Formula Future J3 Class only and provided they do not exceed 40 knots).
Rescue Vessels when undertaking rescue activities only:
- Clause 2(a) of the Act – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
- Clause 2(c) of the Act – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel; and
- Clause 3(a) of the Act – the requirement to operate a vessel at 5 knots within 50 meters of the waters’ edge.
The exemptions apply to vessels participating in the Glenmaggie and District Boat Club Event between the hours of 7.00 am to 7.00 pm on Saturday 3 November 2018 and Sunday 4 November 2018, at Lake Glenmaggie within the exclusion zone adjacent to the Glenmaggie and District Boat Club as marked by buoys, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application, APBA Racing Procedures, APBA Rule Book and associated documentation are adhered to.
Manager Water Supply East
Southern Rural Water
Lake Glenmaggie, located in Gippsland, is a very popular recreational area offering opportunities for boating, swimming and picnicking.
The lake is an annual storage which provides water for farmers throughout the Macalister Irrigation District. This means that the lake fills and empties most years.
Hours of operation
The Lake Glenmaggie Dam Wall recreational area is open from 8.00am and closed at 8.00pm daily.
Facilities and what we do
Lake Glenmaggie is popular for boating, fishing, swimming and picnics. Camping is available at the privately operated Lake Glenmaggie Caravan Park.
Facilities at our two main recreation areas, the dam wall and Sandy Point, include:
Recreational facilities – dam wall
Please note: There is no public access for any activity beyond the barrier near the weir wall.
Recreational facilities – Sandy Point
Request to hold events
From time to time, people wish to hold events at our recreational facilities including festivals, birthday parties and weddings. We cannot close or our recreational facilities for private events and you can not book sites.
You must have permission to hold any organised entertainment, rally, boating event or regatta, festival, public meeting, training class or demonstration, wedding or similar ceremony, or private functions for 30 or more people.
Please email us to with your request in writing.
While visiting our facilities you are not permitted to:
- camp or stay overnight
- have fires or fire pits
- leave rubbish - all our sites are carry in carry out zones
- reserve any picnic areas
- drive or ride motorbikes along the shoreline our in fenced areas
- enter prohibited areas
- vandalise the facilities
- hunt, carry or discharge a firearm
- ride or walk horses anywhere, including in the water
Restrictions and maps
Boating restrictions at Glenmaggie will change with water levels.
For more information view the maps below:
Current BGA Bloom
There are no current BGA blooms.
Lake Glenmaggie is located on the Macalister River in Central Gippsland, Victoria – VicRoad Reference Map 82 E8.
Other Pages of Interest