Select Page


Check Which Rural Water Corporation Your Property is in.

Click here to see who your rural water corporation is.

Would You Like a Copy of Your Licence?

To get a copy of you licence complete the Application to get a copy of your licence or visit the water register website.

Freedom of Information

You can request access to documents held by Southern Rural Water by applying under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

Before making a request, we suggest that you:

Making a request

A request for access to documents must be in writing and include payment of a $28.40 application fee.  Applicants may elect to use the Freedom of Information Request application form.

All requests should be addressed to:

Freedom of Information Officer
Southern Rural Water
PO Box 153

What to include in a request

You need to provide enough information for the documents you seek to be identified.

Requests should be specific and as clear as possible.

If you write your request too broadly, access to the documents sought may be refused or you may be charged for documents which you do not intend to receive.

Fees and Charges

Include payment for the application feed by:

  • Sending a personal or bank cheques, made payable to Southern Rural Water
  • Pay by credit card (contact us)
  • Ask about waiving the fee if you are on a concession and can provide proof

In addition to the application fee, additional charges may be payable for photocopying, search time and other forms of access.  You will be notified if these charges are likely to exceed $50 and asked if you wish to proceed.  If the charge is less than $50, we will let you know the final charges after we process your request when we send you out decision.

You can ask for the application fee to be waived if payment of the fee would cause you financial hardship.


In most cases Southern Rural Water is required to provide you with a response within 45 day after receiving a valid request.

If your request is unclear you may be asked to resubmit it so the documents you wish to access can be identified.

If a decision is made to deny access to part or all of the documents sought, you will be provided with reasons and notified how a review of the decision may be sought.

Further Information

Contact the Freedom of Information Officer by telephone on 1300 139 510 or by email

Forms - Bores

Online application for a Domestic and stock or investigation bore
Construct or alter a domestic and stock bore (PDF 112 Kb)
Alter an investigation or observation bore (PDF 58 Kb)

Decommission a bore (PDF 154 Kb)
Bore Construction Licence Transfer (PDF 130 Kb)
Construct or alter a licensed bore and to take and use groundwater (PDF 163 Kb)

Will Your Bore Water be Contaminated?

Many areas around Victoria but mainly metropolitan Melbourne have been identified as having polluted groundwater. Use the EPA search tool to identify any Groundwater Quality Restricted Use Zones (GQRUZ) near your address. If your address is near a GQRUZ, the EPA tool will advise what the water can be used for. You are responsible for ensuring that groundwater you use is suitable for its purpose and for treating the water if necessary. Also, the EPA also has a Priority Sites Register which lists sites where a ‘Clean Up’ notice or ‘Pollution Abatement’ notice has been issued. All questions regarding information at these sites should be directed to the EPA on 1300 372 842.

If You Are in an Area Serviced by Septic Systems, Groundwater Pollution Must Also be Considered.

Groundwater pollution from septic tanks may occur in unsewered areas. Investigations have found bacteria and nitrate contamination in aquifers that are used for groundwater extraction by private bore owners. New bores may need to be placed away from any treatment systems. Please read our fact sheet, Constructing a bore, or contact your local council for information on placement of a bore on your property.

Testing of Water Quality

Bore water should be tested to make sure its suitable for its intended use.
Advice can be found at: The Department of Health - if the water is for drinking or growing food at home.

Are You Planning on Constructing a Bore Near Any of the Melbourne Metro Rail Project sites?

If you are planning on constructing a bore along the route or near any of the Melbourne Metro Rail Project, please refer to the Melbourne Metro Rail Project web site to obtain information about their planned drilling and monitoring programs in your area. Questions about groundwater and the MM Rail Project should be directed to 1800 551 927.

Other Applications

Drainage Diversion Agreements and Private Works

For a new drainage diversion agreement to transfer or renew you existing one contact us.

Drillers Licence

Application for a Victorian Driller’s Licence

Information Statements

Information Statements are available by applying online at the Landata website: or by using our application form below.

Information Statement Application

Other Applications

Direct debit 
Change of address

Please Note: We are unable to change your address in any of our systems unless this form has been completed, signed and returned to Southern Rural Water.

Keep up to date and subscribe now

If you would like to receive newsletters from Southern Rural Water, please sign up here.