Southern Rural Water (SRW) is a government-owned statutory corporation, governed by a skills-based Board appointed by the Minister for Water. Our ongoing revenue of some $30 million is generated from around 10,000 customers, and a capital works program in excess of $10 million annually. Over 160 staff are spread across our major offices in Maffra, Ringwood, Werribee, Warrnambool and field offices across our region. Southern Rural Water provides a smoke-free work environment and is an equal opportunity employer.
Our vacancies can be found at Southern Rural Water Careers
Advice to Job Applicants
Working at Southern Rural Water
Southern Rural Water is a great place to work. We strive to provide exceptional service to our customers and community, and seek to attract talented and motivated people whose values align with ours.
It’s important to us that our people:
- are safe, healthy and motivated at work
- live our trademark behaviours, which are united, customer first, ambitious, results driven and energetic
- value and embrace diversity and inclusion
- are committed to continuous learning and focus on innovation and improvement
- share their knowledge and ideas for sustainable outcomes
We provide a working environment that inspires people to achieve their goals. We offer:
- flexible working conditions
- mobile technology
- training workshops
- leadership forums
- study assistance
- free flu vaccinations
- employee assistance program
- 14 weeks paid (or 28 weeks at half pay) maternity leave and 1 week paid paternity leave
- adoption leave
- personal and carers leave
- 48/52 work option
- long service leave accessible after seven years
- bereavement leave
- other terms and conditions as part of our enterprise agreement
We also understand that people have commitments outside of work. Our approach to flexibility supports people to achieve their personal and professional goals.
What our people say about working at Southern Rural Water
Working in an industry that delivers an important service to communities is rewarding and the flexibility is fantastic.
SRW is a great employer with even better staff. SRW has provided me with the opportunities, challenges and flexibility I need to keep me energised to do the best I can.
The technology provided allows me to log-on from anywhere and be fully effective. SRW cares about organisational culture and is always striving to improve. Training and development opportunities are closely linked to my role and support me to add value in my field.
SRW are great to work for because I can negotiate flexible work arrangements to help make work fit my life. There are opportunities to be involved in projects and these opportunities boost my development.
Diversity at SRW
Southern Rural Water is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds, thinking and skills.
We have a Diversity and Inclusion Plan in place to ensure we stay focused on the benefits that diversity brings to our organisation.
Some examples of our many diversity and inclusion activities include:
- corporate membership of Pride in Diversity
- actively developing our relationship with Traditional Owners across our region
- diversity and inclusion workshops for all our staff in leadership roles
- participating in Job Shadow Day, giving job-seekers with disabilities a chance to spend time with our staff and experience the workplace
If you are wondering whether you are suitable for a role at Southern Rural Water and want to discuss our approach to diversity further, please don’t hesitate to contact our Employee Services team.
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or
- have lodged an application for citizenship, or
- have a visa to live and work in Australia.
How to Apply
What Do We Do?
What Can We Offer You
- Opportunities for flexible hours and working conditions, including working from various locations and from home
- An extensive health promotion program
- Salary sacrifice and other flexible remuneration practices
- Work/life balance including part-time hours, time in lieu, and rostered days off
- Employee Assistance Program providing support for staff and their families
- Support for Quit Smoking programs
- Our head office is located at Maffra, close to the Gippsland Lakes, snow fields, ocean, and mountains
- We also have main offices at Ringwood, ideally located next to the Eastern Freeway, at Werribee for those from the western side of Melbourne, and in Warrnambool
- We have very low rate of internal conflict either between staff or with unions, and a positive working culture
- Stable secure employment and low staff turnover
- A medium size business allows us to be efficient, enhance culture and have more personalised programs
- Strong rural community and work culture, coupled with the quality of life from rural living
- A broad mix of age groups providing a balance of views
- A management and women’s network focus on gender balance / opportunities
- A clearly defined strategy
- A focus on the importance of excellence in customer service
- Training and development – to assist you in performing your role and increase your skills
- A high capability of technical skills coupled with a strong team work ethic
- A strong focus on new technology and adapting new ways of work – mobile offices; laptop/GPS; videoconferencing, etc