Select Page


Dilwyn Aquifer study

With the assistance of the Commonwealth and State Governments, Southern Rural Water has recently completed a pre-feasibility study looking at the legal and economic viability of non-traditional ownership of groundwater extraction and distribution infrastructure.

This study was completed to inform future development of the Dilwyn Aquifer in south western Victoria where groundwater is plentiful but very deep and expensive to access. SRW will use this information to inform groundwater management and allocation from this aquifer.

Summary information can be found in the brochures available for download below. The detailed report can be found here.

Dilwyn Infrastructure Ownership - Irrigator Syndicates

Dilwyn Infastructure Ownership - Large Business

For further information, please contact Terry Flynn on 1300 139 510.  If you would like to receive updates about the Dilwyn Aquifer, please subscribe here.

Check which rural water corporation your property is in

Click here to see who you rural water corporation is.

Fees - Groundwater

Groundwater annual fees 2018-19

Fixed charge per licence $368.00
Licensed volume $4.05 ML
Intensive management charge Deutgam $27.10 ML

Intensive management fees apply in areas where the costs incurred by SRW are above the normal costs of managing groundwater or surface water areas.  These costs are usually due to extra monitoring, staff, infrastructure or a combination of these.


Renewing your water licence

Your licence is due to be renewed. Without renewal, you won’t be able to take and use water.

Water Act 1989 sections 58 and 72 allow for a licence holder to apply to renew their licence before it expires.

Around March of each year, we will send you information on what you need to do to renew your licence.

Below is a list of some frequently asked questions:

Why do I have to renew my licence?

Your licence to take and use water and to operate works is valid for a fixed term (usually for several years, ending on 30 June in the year of expiry). If you wish to keep the licence, the Water Act 1989 states that you must apply to renew it before it expires. 

Why haven’t I had to renew my licence before when I have had it for so long?

All licences are reviewed toward the end of their term. It could be that your licence was issued 15 years ago and this is the first time it has been due for renewal.

How do I renew my licence?
You need to:

  • review the information SRW provides you
  • advise us of any changes, and
  • pay the required

Why is there a fee to renew my licence?

The fee covers the cost to assess your renewal application, as per our obligations under the Water Act 1989. The fee only applies for this renewal - it is separate to the annual fee you receive in October of each year.

Why is there a fee to renew my licence?

The fee covers the cost to assess your renewal application, as per our obligations under the Water Act 1989.

The fee only applies for this renewal - it is separate to the annual fee you receive in October of each year.

When does my licence expire?

Your licence expires on 30 June – the actual year it expires will be outlined on your licence.

If you want to continue to take and use water and to operate your works, you must submit an application to renew before the expiry date of your licence.

If you do not lodge your application with us before the expiry date, you will no longer have authorisation to take and use water.

How long will my licence be renewed for?

Our aim is to renew your licence for 15 years, however, we may consider a lesser time in situations where the impacts of taking water are uncertain.

What happens to my renewal after I make payment?

  • You will be issued with a receipt. Please retain for your
  • After your renewal has been processed, we will advise you in writing of the outcome. In most cases, licences will be renewed without fuss. However, we must consider the requirements of the Water Act 1989 in known problem areas during the process. In some cases, we may introduce new conditions on licences in these areas to protect other water users, yourself and/or the
  • Due to large numbers of licences being renewed,it may take some time to have all applications assessed. If we expect delays, we will tell you.

What if I no longer need my licence?

If you don’t need or want your licence any more, talk to us about your options:

  • you may be able to trade your licence on a temporaryor permanent basis
  • you can surrender your licence.Any outstanding fees must be settled before a licence can be

What if the licence is not in my name or the licence owners have changed?

Water licences are ‘owned’ by the people named on the licence.

If the name on a licence has changed, you will be asked to complete a ‘transfer of ownership’ application form.

All those people listed on the licence must agree and sign the “transfer of ownership” application form.

What if the named licence holders have died?

In this instance, a licence can usually be updated if one of the surviving licence holders provides us with a death certificate, will or probate information.

If all named licence holders are deceased, the executors of the estate will need to submit a ‘transfer of ownership’ application to us.

We would also require a copy of the will to verify that the new licensees are the people named in the will.

What if I have sold the land but not the licence - can I still renew for 15 years?

No. If the land noted on a licence has been sold to another person (and not replaced) you cannot renew for 15 years. However, to allow you enough time to transfer the licence, the licence may be renewed for a maximum period of 12 months.

We recommend you contact us if you are in this situation.

More information
For more information, application forms or fact sheets, phone SRW on 1300 139 510 or visit our website

Download Factsheet

Your right to domestic stock water

Your basic rights under the Water Act
What can you use domestic and stock water for?
Using bore or river water.

The Water Act 1989 says that anyone in the state can take domestic and stock water from a river or bore that they can access.

The exact wording from the Act is on the back of this fact sheet.

What is “domestic and stock” use?

You can use domestic and stock water for:

  • The house
  • A kitchen garden
  • Watering pets or stock
  • Fire prevention (only if taken from a spring or soak)

You cannot use domestic and stock water for dairies, piggeries, feedlots, poultry or any other intensive or commercial use.

River or bore water is not treated and is not always suitable for humans. You should test your water source before you drink it.

River or creek water
You can take river or creek water for domestic and stock use if:

  • Your property title includes the river
  • Your property title directly abuts the river
  • You lease Crown Land abutting the river

Bore water
You can take bore water for domestic and stock use if the bore is located on your property.

If you don’t have a bore, you can have one built. You will need to obtain a Bore Construction Licence from Southern Rural Water before work starts on the bore. Check our website for current licence fees.

More information
Contact us on 1300 139 510 for more information or to make an appointment to chat to one of our assessment staff. Morein- formation can also be found at

Extracts from the Water Act 1989
Private Rights (Section 8)

Continuation of private rights to water
1. A person has the right to take water, free of charge, for that person’s domestic and stock use from a waterway or bore to which that person has access -

(a) by a public road or public reserve; or

(b) because that person occupies the land on which the water flows or occurs; or

(c) in the case of a waterway, because that person occupies land adjacent to it and the bed and banks of the waterway have  remained the property of the Crown by virtue of section 385 of the Land Act 1958or any corre- sponding previous enactment; or

(d) subject to section 33C, in the case of a bore, because that person occupies it. hile legislation sets strict guide- lines on where bores can be positioned, we recommend that you talk to your neighbours

Domestic and stock definition (Section 3)
Domestic and stock use, in relation to water, means use for -

(a) household purposes; or

(b) watering of animals kept as pets; or

(c) watering of cattle or other stock; or

(ca)  in the case of the curtilage of a house and any outbuilding, watering an area not exceeding 1·2 hectares for fire prevention purposes with water obtained from a spring or soak or water from a dam; or

(d) irrigation of a kitchen garden- but does not include use for dairies, piggeries, feed lots, poultry or any other inten- sive or commercial use; domestic partner of a person means -

Kitchen garden means a garden -

(a) that is used solely in connection with a dwelling; and

(b) no produce from which is sold; and

(C) in the case of a garden irrigated solely with surface water that is not part of an allotment that was alienated from the Crown before
15 December 1886, that is not bigger than 0.1 hectares; and

(d) in the case of a garden irrigated with both surface water andgroundwater that is not part of an allotment that was alienated from the Crown before 15 December 1886, that is not bigger than 0.4 hectares; and

(e) in the case of a garden irrigated solely with groundwater, that is not bigger than 0.4 hectares; and

(f) in the case of a garden that is part of an allotment that was alienated from the Crown before 15 December 1886, that is not bigger than 1.2 hectares.

Download Fact Sheet

Constructing a bore

You need a Works Licence to construct a bore.
You must understand and comply with the licence conditions.
If you want water for anything but domestic and stock use, you will also need to apply for a Groundwater Licence.

If you are planning to construct a bore, you need a Works Licence. You can find a Works Licence application form on theSouthern Rural Water website, or obtain one by calling us on 1300 139 510.

Approving applications

Southern Rural Water prefers that our customers have no surprises during the application process. We strongly urge anyone thinking of constructing a bore to talk to one of our assessment officers before you apply.

In most cases, applications to construct a bore for domestic and stock purposes only are approved.

However, if you are applying for a bore that will be used for new irrigation, commercial or industrial purposes, you should remember that many areas in Victoria are “capped”, which means no new Groundwater Licences can be granted. If you want to apply to use groundwater in a capped area, your Works Licence application should be sent to us together with an application to transfer groundwater from someone else with an existing licence. Information about groundwater trading can be found on our website.

Commercial use includes irrigation, dairy shed water, mining, aquaculture, feedlots, piggeries, poultry farms, golf/sporting areas, guest accommodation, water bottling and snow making.

In many cases, applications for Groundwater Licences must be advertised locally, including notifying neighbours, and submitted to relevant authorities for comment.

Works licence conditions

Once approved, your Works Licence is only valid for 12 months. If your bore is not completed in this time, you can apply to renew the licence prior to the expiry date. After this date, you will need to apply for a new licence.

You cannot start drilling until you have received your licence.

Your Works Licence will have a number of conditions on it – please read and understand the conditions before any workstarts. If you have any questions about your conditions, please call us.

Southern Rural Water inspects most bores during or after construction.

Proposed position / setback distances

While legislation sets strict guidelines on where bores can be positioned, we recommend that you talk to your neighbours and local council prior to drilling a bore.

You will also need to consider accessibility to the proposed site and whether it is prone to flooding, what type of pump will need to be installed and if it will need power.

As a general guide, these are the suggested minimum setback distances from a bore:

Building foundations, 3 metres ¹                                Storage sheds or feed lots, 20 metres
Lakes or waterways, 200 metres                                Onsite effluent disposal systems up to 50 metres ¹ ²
Power lines, 6 metres ¹                                                Irrigation channels, 50 metres
A bore not in your ownership, 300metres                 Drain field systems, 40 metres
Drainage pipes, 20 metres ¹

¹ Contact EPA Victoria, your local council or agency for more information.

² Refer to the Code of Practice – Onsite Wastewater Management. Available from

Specific setback distances may be listed on a Works Licence.

Water quality/quantity

Southern Rural Water does not guarantee the quality or quantity of any groundwater. Groundwater should not be considered safe for human consumption unless properly treated.

To get an idea of what water quality you might expect from a new bore, check with:

  • A qualified hydrogeologist
  • Drillers who work in the area
  • The Department of Sustainability and Environment Groundwater Database (

If you are unsure about how much water you need, we recommend you seek advice from the Department of Primary Industries
on 136 185 or

Once your bore has been drilled, you or your driller must submit a water sample to Southern Rural Water’s laboratoryofchoice for testing. We will advise laboratory details when your licence is issued.

You or your driller must also provide us with a Bore Completion Report within 28 days of the bore being drilled.


If your bore is for a commercial use, it has to be metered.

Southern Rural Water will provide a water meter at cost. It must be installed to our specifications, either by yourself or a contractor. We will inspect the installed meter to ensure it meets our standards.

All meters remain the property of Southern Rural Water. Domestic and stock bores do not need to be metered.

More information
Contact us on 1300 139 510 for more information or to make an appointment to chat to one of our assessment staff. Moreinformation can also be found at

Download Factsheet

What happens when you apply to take and use water

What happens?

When we receive your application, we immediately:

  • scan it and add it to our record keeping system
  • send you a receipt for any fees you have paid, and
  • acknowledge your application in writing (by mail or email)

We then assign it to one of our Assessment Officers, who will see your application through to the end.

They will check your application to make sure that you have given us all we need to assess your proposal.

If something simple is missing, they will call you. If something more important is missing, they will write to you. We cannot work on your application until we have all of the details we need.

Assessing your application The process explained

When we assess an application, we must think about:

  • current water users, waterways and how close they are to you
  • section 40 of the Water Act 1989
  • government policies
  • local management rules or plans
  • irrigation development guidelines if they apply

The process explained

Technical work

If necessary, we may ask you to provide technical information about your proposal. This often happens when we think your proposal may affect other users or the environment.

Asking for comment

If your application is controversial, or large, we need to give people a chance to comment.

If your proposal may affect other users or the environment, or is for a significant volume of water, we need to give people a chance to comment. We require you to:

  • advertise your proposal in a local newspaper
  • let your neighbours know about your application by formal letter

We will provide you with templates for the required advertising and neighbour letters.

We will also refer your application to agencies such as the catchment management authority, local council, urban water authority, Aboriginal Affairs Victoria and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.

The public and agencies have 28 days to provide comments.

If we receive several adverse comments, we may invite all interested parties to a meeting. This gives people a chance to:

  • discuss the proposal in more detail
  • talk about any concerns

If you have given us expert technical information, you should also bring along the consultant who provided this information.

Making a decision

When we have looked at all information and comments, we will either:

  • approve your application, and outline the conditions that will apply
  • refuse the application, and tell you the reasons why

We will also advise all interested parties of the decision, and provide a “Statement of Reasons” which explains our decision.

How long will it take?

If you apply for new water, or for a large permanent transfer, we aim to decide within 60 days (from the time we receive all required details).

If you apply for a temporary transfer, we aim to decide within 14 days.

You can appeal

No matter what we decide, anyone can lodge an appeal to VCAT within 28 days of the decision being made.

Because of this, we delay sending you the final documents until the appeal period has passed.

More information
For more information, application forms or fact sheets, phone SRW on 1300 139 510 or visit our website

Download Factsheet

New Groundwater Allocations

If you are thinking about using groundwater…

To assist with the protection of Victorian groundwater resources, Groundwater Management Areas and Water Supply Protection Areas have been established. In some of these areas we can no longer approve new allocations of water, as a Permissible Annual Volume (PAV) has been set. New water allocations cannot be granted when the total allocation for the area has reached its PAV. As an alternative, you can apply to transfer licensed volume from an existing licence holder within the same Groundwater Management or Water Supply Protection Area. For information on groundwater trading read our Groundwater Trading Fact Sheet. A copy is available from our website

New Groundwater Allocations – what’s involved?

You can apply to Southern Rural Water for a new allocation of water in areas that are either not at their PAV or have not been declared as a GMA or WSPA.

Our assessment process will vary according to where you are, the volume you require and the intended use of the water. Before we can determine whether to approve or decline your application, you may need to:

  • provide a professionally prepared hydrogeological report that includes an assessment of the impacts that your proposal may have on the other users or potential users, waterways, the aquifer and the environment.
  • provide a water use plan. You need to explain how you will use the water and how long it will take you to develop your water use. This information will be used to form part of the licence conditions if the application is approved.
  • complete a public notification process that includes advertising, neighbour notification and referral to other local agencies and government departments. Southern Rural Water provides you with templates for advertising and neighbour notification and will meet with local agencies and government departments on your behalf. People will have 28 days to respond to the public notification process. We may also need to hold a meeting of those who responded and the applicant.

Once your application has been lodged with us, you will receive written advice as to what parts of the assessment process apply to your application. This process will take up to twelve weeks, possibly longer.

Your application will not necessarily be approved. If the information gathered as part of the assessment process indicates that your proposal is not sustainable or will have a negative impact on other users, the aquifer or the environment we will not be able to approve your application.

Download Factsheet

Reminders for drillers

Before you drill, check you have:

  1. received a copy of the Bore Construction Licence (BCL)
  2. read and understood all the conditions on the BCL
  3. clarified any details with Southern Rural Water (SRW).

Call us first on 1300 139 510 (toll free) If you need to:

  • drill deeper than the BCL allows
  • drill extra bores
  • change the proposed bore site.

If you are constructing a new bore or altering an existing bore

You must ensure that a BCL is obtained before any work begins. This applies to any bore where groundwater is to be intercepted – even if the bore is for investigation and/or observation purposes. Failure to obtain a licence to construct a bore is an offence under the Water Act 1989 and SRW will not hesitate to take legal action against drillers and their clients where the law is breached.

You must:

  • ensure the bore is drilled according to the BCL conditions and completed before the BCL expiry date.
  • provide a copy of the Bore Completion Report to SRW and to the Licensee within 28 working days of the works being completed.

Please call SRW for Bore Completion Report books.

If, during construction, you need to drill deeper than the BCL allows

You must stop drilling at/before the maximum depth is reached. Call SRW immediately (1300 139 510 toll free), explain the situation and give an idea of the additional depth required. SRW staff will assess the revised depth, notify you of any additional requirements and provide, where appropriate, approval to proceed in the shortest possible timeframe.

If you need to drill more bores that are authorised on the BCL

SRW must authorise any additional bores on a site before the work starts. This applies to all bores – investigation, monitoring, domestic & stock, irrigation etc.

More information
For more information, application forms or fact sheets, phone SRW on 1300 139 510 or visit our website

Download Factsheet

Ground water fees - what your fees go towards

A fair go for everyone
Monitoring and compliance
echnical advice

all groundwater licence holders are required to pay annual fees and charges to Southern Rural Water.

These fees and charges cover the cost of managing groundwater to ensure fair and equitable access for all water users, with the least possible impact on the environment. The cost of providing this service remains the same to Southern Rural Water, no matter how much of your entitlement you are able to access.

Some of the services covered by your fees include:


Southern Rural Water monitors water use across the southern half of Victoria to ensure everyone is sticking to their licence conditions. This includes reading your meter, usually twice a year.

Our technical staff also monitor aquifers and rivers so that we know their levels. This information helps us to manage groundwater and surface water.

Sharing water fairly

There are many ways we work to ensure water is shared fairly.

Our field staff investigate reasons for sudden or unexpected changes in water levels. Where there is a risk of over- extraction, or if bores are unreasonably interfering with each other, we may have to introduce rosters or restrictions. We have developed, and review regularly, Local Management Plans for groundwater areas which may include restrictions at a local level.

Compliance is a large part of our job. Our field staff work with licence holders to ensure they stick with their licence conditions. We investigate complaints and we take legal action when we find someone taking water unfairly. Sometimes this involved going to court or to VCAT.

Another large part of our business is applications for new licences. This is paid for by application fees. We make decisions on applications, considering available resources and effects on other users and the environment.Often this means providing local communities with the chance to have their say on the application.

Information and advice

Southern Rural Water has completed ground-breaking, 3D mapping of groundwater to give us a better understanding for future management. It allows us to see in a way that was not possible before, how groundwater systems connect with each other, the environment and users. These 3D maps have been incorporated into our new groundwater hub, which is available

Our hydrogeologists also provide technical advice where necessary, including for new applications.

We provide fact sheets, newsletters, public forums and other forms of communication to help educate people about groundwater and its use.

More information
For more information, application forms or fact sheets, phone SRW on 1300 139 510 or visit our website

Download factsheet

Don't plumb water into your mains supply

It is illegal to modify plumbing on your land without proper approval.

The number of homes accessing bore water has greatly increased over recent years.

It is illegal to plumb bore water with your mains supply without the proper approval from your town water supplier.

For this reason:

  • Contact your urban water authority for information about modifying your mains supply to incorporate bore water or any other source of water
  • You may be asked to install backflow devices at the mains water meter and internal plumbing
  • Installation, if approved, must follow instructions provided by your urban water authority
  • All installations of backflow devices must be carried out by a licensed plumber
  • In areas where there is an increased risk of mains water contamination, annual testing by Plumbing Industry Commission licensed plumbers may be required

Working with these requirements will assist water suppliers to continue to provide you with a reliable source of water.

To discuss these requirements or to find out more, please contact your local urban water authority.

Barwon Water South Gippsland Water
61-67 Ryrie St GEELONG, 3220
1300 656 007
14 – 18 Pioneer St FOSTER, 3960
1300 851 636
Central Highlands Water Wannon Region Water Authority
7 Learmonth Rd WENDOUREE, 3353
(03) 5320 3100
25 Gateway Rd WARRNAMBOOL, 3280
1300 926 666
East Gippsland Water Western Water
133 Macleod St BAIRNSDALE, 3875
1300 720 700
36 Macedon St SUNBURY, 3429
1300 650 425
Gippsland Water Westernport Water
Hazelwood Rd TRARALGON, 3844
1800 066 401
2 Boys Home Rd NEWHAVEN, 3925
1300 720 711
Melbourne Water City West Water
100 Wellington Pde MELBOURNE, 3001
131 722
247 – 251 St Albans Rd SUNSHINE, 3020
131 691
Yarra Valley Water South East Water
Lucknow St MITCHAM, 3132
131 721
20 Corporate Dve HEATHERTON, 3202
131 694

More information
Contact us on 1300 139 510 for more information or to make an appointment to chat to one of our assessment staff.
More information can also be found at

Download Factsheet

Don't Drink the Water

The quality and quantity of groundwater can vary widely.

Groundwater is untreated and should not be considered safe for human consumption without proper treatment.

EPA Victoria has made existing information about groundwater quality easier to find via an interactive web tool on its website. You can easily search a map of Victoria to find where a ‘groundwater quality restricted use zone’ is. These are areas where there has been historic groundwater pollution as a result of previous industrial activity. For more information visit the EPA website

What Does it Look Like Down a Bore?

Take a look at our youtube channel to see footage taken down a deep bore in south west Victoria.

Keep up to date and subscribe now

If you would like to receive newsletters from Southern Rural Water, please sign up here.