Select Page

Safe Swimming

Our recreational reserves are lovely places to have a picnic and a swim. When enjoying a swim at one of our recreational reserves, please obey our general warning signs and the following tips to “play it safe by the water”.

Please check if there are any current blue green algae warnings for our swimming areas before visiting.



Where can I swim?
Storage Swimming areas More information
Lake Glenmaggie Sandy Point Lake Glenmaggie recreation page
Blue Rock Lake Old Tanjil Road, Spillway Road Blue Rock Lake recreation page
Cowwarr Weir Main area Cowwarr Weir recreation page
Lake Narracan Recreation at Lake Narracan is managed by Latrobe City Council Lake Narracan
Melton Reservoir No Melton Reservoir recreation page
Merrimu Reservoir No Merrimu Reservoir recreation page
Pykes Creek Marked swimming area Pykes Creek recreation page


Know your environment

Water and hazards can change very quickly. Don’t assume that the location will be the same as the last time you swam there.

When swimming at any of our storages, please be aware of:

  • The weather conditions – water levels can change suddenly due to heavy rainfall or releases of water from storage areas.
  • Remember what is safe in the morning may not be safe in the afternoon.
  • Strong winds, as they can cause choppy water which makes conditions for swimming dangerous.
  • Banks, as they are often slippery and can result in someone accidentally falling into the water.
  • Currents, which are likely wherever a river enters a lake or another river.

Please stay away from any of our assets including spillways and towers.


Swim safely
  • Obey all water safety signs.
  • Never enter the water where flood gates or valves are in operation.
  • Only swim in designated swimming areas.
  • Check the water depth and currents before allowing toddlers or children in the water.
  • Never take your eyes off toddlers or small children.
  • Make sure someone is watching out for you.
  • Beware of the depth of the water and always enter feet first.
  • Look carefully for sandbanks, weeds, rocks, trees, branches and other hazards.

Please don’t swim in our irrigation channels or diversion weirs.

Southern Rural Water distributes water to irrigators through weirs and automated channel networks. The volume of water flowing in our system is regulated by a series of automated doors and gates that can open or close at any time, causing conditions to be hazardous.

For further information on safe swimming visit the “Play it Safe by the Water” website.

Keep up to date and subscribe now

If you would like to receive newsletters from Southern Rural Water, please sign up here.

WaterMatch - online trading

Watermatch is a free online service, designed to help people trade water.

Once you have registered, you can advertise to buy or sell water.

Depending on the water that you wish to trade, choose from the Groundwater, Surface Water (rivers and creeks) and Irrigation District forum.

Select a new topic to create your ad. Your ad can be to buy or sell water, and must describe the source of your water, quantity of water you want to buy or sell, how long you want to trade for and your contact details. If you are happy to put a buying or selling price, this can be included here too.

If you want to respond to an ad, you can use the email link or contact the advertiser direct.

It is an online trading forum, and can also be used by people who are not on the internet, with help from our staff.

Watermatch allows you to register your interest in either buying or selling water in southern Victoria.

  • the Macalister, Werribee and Bacchus Marsh Irrigation District
  • Groundwater systems in southern Victoria
  • Rivers and creek systems in southern Victoria (other than those managed by Melbourne Water around the Port Phillip region).

Who can use it?
Anyone can use watermatch. You may be an existing licence holder who wants to sell water, or buy more water.

You may not currently have a licence, but you want to buy water in the region.

How does it work?

  • click here to enter Watermatch
  • register as a user (a very simple process)
  • go to the system or district you are interested in and check current entries
  • add in any entry for any water you want to sell or buy

What information should I include in my ad?

  • If you are wanting to buy or sell
  • your name
  • phone number
  • name of river, creek, groundwater management area or irrigation district
  • how much water is to be traded
  • If the trade is temporary or permanent
  • term of the trade (Maximum term is 5 years)

Things you need to know
We are always looking for ways to improve our customer service. If you would like to provide feedack or suggested improvements please click here.

it's important to note that Southern Rural Water is not acting, and will not act, as a water broker.

We cannot advise you on price of water or match you individually with a buyer/seller.

Buyers and sellers still need to go through our normal application process.

Trading applications must be submitted to Southern Rural Water and approval granted before water is taken. A water transfer application form can be downloaded from our application page.

If you want to trade upstream, please speak with one of our Assessment Officers prior to submitting an application.

To check if a buyer or seller can trade with you, call us on 1300 139 510 and ask to speak to an Assessment Officer.

Not a water broker

It's important to note that Southern Rural Water is not acting, and will not act, as a water broker.

We cannot advise you on price of water or match you individually with a buyer/seller.

Buyers and sellers still need to go through our normal application process.

Click here to download our Fact Sheet