Pykes Creek Reservoir
Recreational facilities open
Visitors are reminded to practice good hygiene, and follow current rules for physical distancing and maximum group sizes.
For the latest information on the current restrictions on the Victorian Government website.
Pykes Creek Reservoir is currently open for all water recreational use.
Pykes Creek Reservoir background and location
Pykes Creek Reservoir, located west of Melbourne near Ballan, is a very popular recreational area offering opportunities for boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming and picnicking.
The reservoir primarily provides water for farmers in the Bacchus Marsh and Werribee Irrigation Districts. This means that the water levels can vary.
Pykes Creek Reservoir is located on a tributary of the Werribee River, 72 km west of Melbourne on the Western Highway – VicRoads Reference Map 611 E1
Hours of operation
Pykes Creek recreational facilities are open between
Facilities and what to do
Pykes Creek Reservoir is a popular spot for boating, fishing, swimming
Facilities at our recreation area include:
Please note that Pykes Creek is patrolled regularly by our compliance team.
- In the interests of making a visit to Pykes a safe and enjoyable one for everyone, vessels (including
jetskis) will not be allowed on the water without displaying current registration and drivers carrying a current marine and may be inspected for appropriate equipment licence,
- Children must be supervised at all times
- Only boats powered by an internal combustion engine are permitted if the engine has a water-cooled exhaust system, discharging through the transom at or below the waterline
- Boating restrictions apply when water levels lower.
While visiting our facilities you are not permitted to:
- camp or stay overnight
- have fires or fire pits
- leave rubbish - all our sites are carry in carry out zones
- reserve any picnic areas
- drive or ride motorbikes along the shoreline or in fenced areas
- enter prohibited areas
- vandalise the facilities
- hunt, carry or discharge a firearm
- ride or walk horses anywhere, including in the water.
Request to hold events
From time to time, people wish to hold events at our recreational facilities including festivals, birthday parties and weddings. We cannot close our recreational facilities for private events and you cannot book sites.
You must have permission to hold any organised entertainment, rally, boating event or regatta, festival, public meeting, training class or demonstration, wedding or similar ceremony, or private functions for 30 or more people.
Please email us with your request in writing.
Pykes Creek Reservoir is located on a tributary of the Werribee River, 72 km west of Melbourne on the Western Highway.
VicRoads Reference – Map 611 E1