Pykes Creek Reservoir
Pykes Creek Reservoir, located west of Melbourne near Ballan, is a very popular recreational area offering opportunities for boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming and picnicking.
The reservoir primarily provides water for farmers in the Bacchus Marsh and Werribee Irrigation Districts. This means that the water levels can vary.
Pykes Creek Reservoir is located on a tributary of the Werribee River, 72 km west of Melbourne on the Western Highway -VicRoads Reference Map 611 E1
Hours of Operation
Pykes Creek recreational facilities are open between 8am and 8pm daily.
Facilities and What to Do
Pykes Creek Reservoir is a popular spot for boating, fishing, swimming and picnics. There is no camping available. The reservoir is regularly patrolled and boat access is often restricted due to water levels (see Things to note, below).
Facilities at our Recreation Area Include:
Brochures and Maps
Things to Note
Please note that Pykes Creek is patrolled regularly by our compliance team.
- In the interests of making a visit to Pykes a safe and enjoyable one for everyone, vessels (including jetskis) will not be allowed on the water without displaying current registration and drivers carrying a current marine licence, and may be inspected for appropriate equipment.
- Children must be supervised at all times
- Only boats powered by an internal combustion engine are permitted if the engine has a water-cooled exhaust system, discharging through the transom at or below the waterline
- Boating restrictions apply when water levels lower
Note that Blue Green Algae outbreaks may affect access from time to time.
- Check our BGA alerts page for more information.
Note that public events such as boat races are held on Pykes Creek from time to time.
- For details, see our public notices page.
You must take your litter home with you.
Camping, firearms, fires and horses are not permitted.
Dogs must be on leads at all times.
Pykes Creek Reservoir is located on a tributary of the Werribee River, 72 km west of Melbourne on the Western Highway.
VicRoads Reference – Map 611 E1