Select Page


Southern Rural Water has a number of storages where people can use boats.

Note – restrictions to boat access may apply when water levels are low.

Storage Power boating? Non-powered boats Including Canoes and Kayaks Boat Ramp Locations More Information
Lake Glenmaggie Yes Yes Kelly Cove, Lake Glenmaggie Caravan Park, Stuckeys Point, Glenmaggie and District Boat Club, Sandy Point Lake Glenmaggie recreation page
Blue Rock Lake Yes, with speed restrictions Yes Old Tanjil Road, Spillway Road Blue Rock Lake recreation page
Cowwarr Weir No Yes None Cowwarr Weir recreation page
Lake Narracan Note – recreation on Lake Narracan is managed by the Latrobe City Council. Latrobe City Council
Melton Reservoir Limited to members of the Melbourne Runabout and Speedboat Club No Melbourne Runabout and Speedboat Club Melton Reservoir recreation page
Merrimu Reservoir No No None Merrimu Reservoir recreation page
Pykes Creek Reservoir Yes. Note current restriction to 20 vessels and difficult launching due to low water levels. Yes Pykes Creek Road Pykes Creek recreation page


Safe boating

Southern Rural Water is keen for all visitors to enjoy a safe boating experience. Many of our storages are regularly patrolled. Ensure you stick to the safety rules for boating, including:

  • Boating is not permitted near our dam walls.
  • On Victorian inland waters a 5 knot speed limit applies to boat operators and PWC operators within 50m of the water’s edge, 50m of any fixed or floating structure in or on the water, and 50m of swimmers.
  • Don’t drink and boat.
  • Maintain a good look out and operate at a safe speed. Remember that lower water levels often reveal snags and obstacles.
  • Ensure you have sufficient skills, experience and number of crew on board for the vessel and conditions prevailing and forecast.
  • Ensure you have the right safety equipment for all persons on-board including correctly fitted PFDs.
  • Carry enough Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) for the amount of people on the boat
  • You must wear the appropriate PFD for your vessel type when in an open area of a recreational vessel that is underway.
  • All masters operating a powered recreational vessel on Victorian waters require a marine licence and must carry it at all times.
  • The Marine Safety Act requires the owner of a recreational powered vessel (one equipped with an engine that is capable of being used for propulsion) to register the vessel.
  • Carry the minimum safety equipment required for your class of vessel under the Marine Safety Act.
  • A person must not operate a recreational vessel (including jetskis) or hire and drive vessel at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public, birds and marine animals.


More Information

For more information about the rules at particular waterways, visit Transport Safety Victoria’s interactive waterway map.

For further information on The Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) or boating in Waterways click here.

Keep up to date and subscribe now

If you would like to receive newsletters from Southern Rural Water, please sign up here.

WaterMatch - online trading

Watermatch is a free online service, designed to help people trade water.

Once you have registered, you can advertise to buy or sell water.

Depending on the water that you wish to trade, choose from the Groundwater, Surface Water (rivers and creeks) and Irrigation District forum.

Select a new topic to create your ad. Your ad can be to buy or sell water, and must describe the source of your water, quantity of water you want to buy or sell, how long you want to trade for and your contact details. If you are happy to put a buying or selling price, this can be included here too.

If you want to respond to an ad, you can use the email link or contact the advertiser direct.

It is an online trading forum, and can also be used by people who are not on the internet, with help from our staff.

Watermatch allows you to register your interest in either buying or selling water in southern Victoria.

  • the Macalister, Werribee and Bacchus Marsh Irrigation District
  • Groundwater systems in southern Victoria
  • Rivers and creek systems in southern Victoria (other than those managed by Melbourne Water around the Port Phillip region).

Who can use it?
Anyone can use watermatch. You may be an existing licence holder who wants to sell water, or buy more water.

You may not currently have a licence, but you want to buy water in the region.

How does it work?

  • click here to enter Watermatch
  • register as a user (a very simple process)
  • go to the system or district you are interested in and check current entries
  • add in any entry for any water you want to sell or buy

What information should I include in my ad?

  • If you are wanting to buy or sell
  • your name
  • phone number
  • name of river, creek, groundwater management area or irrigation district
  • how much water is to be traded
  • If the trade is temporary or permanent
  • term of the trade (Maximum term is 5 years)

Things you need to know
We are always looking for ways to improve our customer service. If you would like to provide feedack or suggested improvements please click here.

it's important to note that Southern Rural Water is not acting, and will not act, as a water broker.

We cannot advise you on price of water or match you individually with a buyer/seller.

Buyers and sellers still need to go through our normal application process.

Trading applications must be submitted to Southern Rural Water and approval granted before water is taken. A water transfer application form can be downloaded from our application page.

If you want to trade upstream, please speak with one of our Assessment Officers prior to submitting an application.

To check if a buyer or seller can trade with you, call us on 1300 139 510 and ask to speak to an Assessment Officer.

Not a water broker

It's important to note that Southern Rural Water is not acting, and will not act, as a water broker.

We cannot advise you on price of water or match you individually with a buyer/seller.

Buyers and sellers still need to go through our normal application process.

Click here to download our Fact Sheet