Western Irrigation Futures
The project considered a full range of factors, including:
- Water resource availability, quality and security
- Infrastructure efficiency and cost
- Market parameters
- Environmental implications, and
- Social and community issues.
An atlas of the two districts was developed to provide a clear understanding of the areas for discussion.
An Options Paper was produced to explore options to improve the viability of Werribee and Bacchus Marsh Irrigation Districts which included:
Multi-level consultation was undertaken including technical workshops and a series of customer workshops to seek suggestions on water supply options and delivery system improvements.
Following the consultation with customers on the preferred options for Werribee and Bacchus Marsh, the Western Irrigation Futures Strategy was produced.
The Western Irrigation Futures Strategy outlines the proposed path forward for the Werribee and Bacchus Marsh Irrigation Districts. Features of the strategy include:
- A business case for Werribee to support infrastructure improvement
- A feasibility study for Bacchus Marsh outlining reconfiguration options for the district, and
- Development of an individual carryover arrangement for the Werribee system.