4/1 System Upgrade for Werribee
About the project
The project will replace about 6km old leaking channels in the western area of the district (called the 4/1 system) with much more efficient pipelines and accurate water meters.
Channels within the 4/1 system are some of the oldest in the WID and need a lot of ongoing maintenance.
Some of the benefits of this project include:
- About 600ML/year of water savings
- A fully piped system (parts of the WID 4/1 system are already pipelined)
- Removing channels that act as a barrier
- Improving community safety by removing sections of open channel
- Reduced maintenance
- Ease of operation
- 2014 – on-ground investigations and design work
- 2014 – meeting with individual customers to discuss how we can minimise disruptions
- late 2014 – release of tender for construction works
- Winter 2015 – construction works
- Winter 2016 – construction works