Select Page




70 801 473 421

Is there GST on my water charges?

No. There are no GST charges on any SRW fees.

Is interest charged on payment plans?

We would encourage anyone struggling to pay their account to set up a payment plan. This means you will not incur a 2.9% interest charge on overdue payments.

If you are on a payment plan, you will be charged an Account Service Charge which is 1.93%, applied at the end of your payment plan if you adhere to the arrangements.

What is the current interest charged on unpaid SRW accounts?

The rate of interest is 2.9%.

What is the salinity mitigation charge on my account?

The Salinity Mitigation Charge applies to customers in the Macalister Irrigation Area, and is 60 cents per ML of water used. This includes MID customers as well as river licences on the Rainbow Creek, Thomson and Macalister systems.

SRW collects this charge on behalf of the Wellington Community Salinity Group and uses this revenue to pay for the operation and maintenance charges associated with running the salinity pumps such as electricity costs, contractor costs, repairs & maintenance.

There are 19 salinity pumps which are used for groundwater control – meaning they are used to pump groundwater from the shallow aquifer (generally under 25 metres) to stop water logging and an accumulation of salt (salty groundwater) in the root zone of crops/pastures, and ultimately salinization of the land. These pumps were constructed as a first defence for irrigation induced salinity – hence the contribution from irrigation customers.

Bores and Groundwater

How do I find out about my bore water sample results?

Call ALS on (03) 8756 8000.
They are the company that tests the water when your bore is first drilled.

There is groundwater under my house, what do I do?

When we have a lot of rain, or even a flood, the ground will often stay saturated for a while. Sometimes, groundwater tables rise so high they pool above the surface. If you don’t have appropriate drainage, this water will stay in the same place.
The only solution is surface draining or sump-pumping. For further information, contact us and ask for your local field officer.

Do I need a licence if I intend to use bore water for hydro power?
Yes, you do. You will need to contact us and ask to speak with your region’s assessment officer.
Caps do not apply to this type of licence as you are returning the exact amount of water you are taking, so there is no effect on water availability.

Dams, ponds and lakes

Does an ornamental pond need to be registered as a domestic and stock dam?

SRW does not encourage the use of aesthetic dams.

If your pond, lake or dam will be used for domestic and stock purposes (providing water to stock, watering a kitchen garden) then it may need to be registered. If you are not using it for domestic purposes, you may still need to register it, depending on size.

Please contact us and speak to your region’s assessment officer to find out if your dam needs to be registered.

What do I do if I have Blue Green Algae on my farm dam?

Please ring the Department of Environment Land, Water and Planning info line (136 186) and follow the prompts – SRW does not provide information about BGA on farm or private dams.

Agriculture Victoria also offers blue green algae advice.

Who do I contact if I need advice on cleaning out my dam or treating it with chemicals?
The  Department of Environment Land, Water and Planning provides advice on dam maintenance.


What do I do if I have Blue Green Algae on my farm dam?
Please ring the Department of Environment Land, Water and Planning info line (136 186) and follow the prompts – SRW does not provide information about BGA on farm or private dams.

The  Department of Environment Land, Water and Planning also offers blue green algae advice.

Lake Glenmaggie and the Macalister Irrigation District

How much water is kept for environmental purposes in Lake Glenmaggie?

The environment receives an entitlement from Lake Glenmaggie similar to the entitlement held by customers.

The current entitlement is 12,461 ML of high reliability water shares, and 6,230 ML of low reliability water shares. These are subject to the same % changes during the season as customers.

How much water gets lost through evaporation on the channels?

28% of Glenmaggie’s water is lost through evaporation. This statistic also includes outfall losses (water going down drains at the end of the irrigation systems) and measurement inaccuracy. This means that for every 100ML of water going through Glenmaggie, 28ML is lost.

We are working to improve this figure through modernisation of our irrigation system.

Land Title

How do I get a copy of my Land Title?
Please see the  Department of Environment Land, Water and Planning Land Titles webpage for more information.

Reservoirs – What can I do?

Are jet skis allowed on Melton (Exford) Reservoir?

The only people permitted to use Melton Reservoir for boating are members of the Melbourne Runabout and Speed Boat Club. If you are a member and have a jet ski that has been approved by the club, you can use it at Melton Reservoir (only to the railway bridge).

If you are not a member of the club, you cannot use the reservoir for boating or jetskiing.

Are food vans allowed at reservoirs?

SRW does allow food vans at our reservoirs, but you need to:

  • get permission from your local shire
  • put your proposal in writing to SRW

before we make a decision.

For more information, please contact us.

What else can I do at SRW's reservoirs?
Each of Southern Rural Water’s storages has different rules and regulations. For more information, see our storage pages.

Rivers and Creeks

Do I need a licence if I intend to use river water for hydro power?
Yes, you will need a surface water licence. However, the usual caps do not apply as you will be returning the water.

Please contact us and ask to speak to your region’s assessment officer.

Modernisation Projects

Click here to see the latest MID Phase 2 FAQs

Southern Rural Water acknowledges and recognises Aboriginal people as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and waters on which we work and live, and we respect their deep and ongoing connection to Country. For more about the First Nations peoples on whose Country we work, click here.