The Rural Water Corporation (RWC) started life in 1907 as the State Rivers & Water Supply Commission of Victoria – with wide ranging responsibilities for water supply and distribution in rural and regional Victoria.
By the 1990s, however, many irrigators were not happy about some of the activities of the RWC. When irrigators protested over charges, the government established the McDonald Review to look at the future management of the RWC.
In 1992 the McDonald Review set in train the dissolution of the RWC by establishing regional advisory boards. In 1994, the RWC was separated into five independent rural water authorities.
For Southern Rural Water, the final step occurred on 1 July 1995 when the two authorities in southern Victoria (Southern and Gippsland) were combined to form our current organisation.